Skip to content

New post-study work arrangements and international students

By laura on 10 Jan 2013 9:27am

New post-study work arrangements are being introduced in early 2013 for eligible international students who graduate with an Australian Bachelor’s, Master’s or a Doctoral degree.

The new post-study work arrangements will be built as an additional stream in the existing temporary skilled graduate (subclass 485) visa. The subclass 485 currently allows international students who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation that is in demand to remain in Australia for an additional 18 months.

From early 2013, the temporary skilled graduate (subclass 485) visa will be renamed the temporary graduate (subclass 485) visa. You may apply for the temporary graduate visa through either the new post-study work stream (the new arrangements) or the graduate work stream (the existing subclass 485 arrangements) provided you meet the specific eligibility requirements.

The post-study work stream of the subclass 485 will be for international students who lodged their first student visa application after the introduction of the genuine temporary entrant requirement (GTE) on 5 November 2011. If you do not meet this requirement, you may still be eligible for a temporary graduate visa through the graduate work stream.

The introduction of new post-study work arrangements for degree level graduates in Australia was a key recommendation of the Strategic review of the student visa program 2011, conducted by the Hon Michael Knight AO.

We have recently published updated information on our website with details about how the new arrangements will work and what the particular eligibility requirements will be. You can view this information here.

More important information about the new post-study work stream of the subclass 485:

Eligible qualifications

To be eligible for the new post-study work arrangements, you must graduate from an Australian educational institution with a Bachelor’s, Master’s and/or Doctoral degree. You may qualify for the new arrangements using any combination of eligible degree level qualifications.

The study used to complete this qualification must have been at Bachelor level and above and must meet the Australian study requirement.

The Australian study requirement

Regardless of whether you are applying under the new post-study work stream or the graduate work stream, you must meet the Australian study requirement in the six months before making your subclass 485 application. The Australian study requirement is defined as study in Australia in a registered course for a period of at least two academic years. The course must be conducted in English and must be completed in no less than 16 calendar months.

We have developed a fact sheet with information on how the Australian study requirement is assessed for the purposes of applying for a temporary graduate visa.  This new fact sheet can be found here.

Are the new arrangements linked to skilled migration?

The new arrangements are not linked to skilled migration and do not provide a pathway to permanent residence. Therefore applicants under the new post-study work stream will not be required to nominate a skilled occupation or submit a skills assessment. Applicants under the graduate work stream of the subclass 485 will still be required to nominate a skilled occupation and submit a suitable skills assessment.

It is important to note that student visas and the graduate work visa are temporary visas and there is no guarantee that, on the basis of having held one of these visas, you will meet the requirements for grant of another visa.

Visa validity

Under the new post-study work arrangements, the duration of the subclass 485 visa you are granted will depend on the qualification that you have used to qualify for the arrangements.

Graduates who have completed a Bachelor’s degree, Master’s by coursework degree or Master’s extended degree may be eligible to apply for a two year post-study work visa. Graduates who have completed a Master’s by research degree or a Doctorate may be eligible to apply for a three or four year post-study work visa respectively.

Other graduates may be eligible to apply for an 18 month subclass 485 visa through the graduate work stream.

32 Comments
  1. Alex says:

I have a question and appreciate it if you could advise me. I got 573 in Feb 2011 and applied for 574 in March 2012. As my second visa application is after 5 November 2011, Am I eligible for new post-study work visa? Cheers

2. Elize says:

Hi Laura,

I have a question regarding the eligibility of post-study work visa. In your article, you said that “The post-study work stream of the subclass 485 will be for international students who lodged their first student visa application after the introduction of the genuine temporary entrant requirement (GTE) on 5 November 2011.”

My case is, I’ve lodged my second student visa application in early Jan 2013. So, am I eligible for the post-study work visa after graduation? My course is 2 years full time in accounting. I am very concerned about this.

Regards,

3. Mohammed Mustafa Rizvi says:

Hi

Thanks (Laura) for your information. I have a query regarding post-graduate visa and appreciate if any one could advise me. I came in Australia in 2009 and on that period my occupation (Mathematician) was in the SOL list, but now it is not in the new SOL list.

Can I apply for new temporary graduate visa? If not, is there any other subclass?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    Mustafa

• Laura says:

Hi Mustafa
      Thank you for your comment.

The Graduate Work stream of the subclass 485 is available to students who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation that is in demand in the Australian labour market. To be granted a subclass 485 in this stream you must provide a suitable skills assessment in an occupation that is included on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) that is in effect on the day you lodge your application. More information about the SOL can be found at: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/sol.

For the Post-Study Work stream, you must have applied for and been granted your first student visa on or after 5 November 2011. See more eligibility requirements at: http://www.immi.gov.au/students/_pdf/2011-post-study-work.pdf.

Whether you are eligible for another visa will depend on your individual circumstances. You can use the Visa Wizard on the Department’s website to search for visa options. See http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard.

4. Karin says:

Hi Alex and Elize

Thank you for your comments.

The new post-study work stream of the subclass 485 is available to those students who have applied for, and been granted, their first student visa on or after 5 November 2011. Those students who do not meet this requirement may still be eligible for the subclass 485 through the graduate work stream.

5. Peem says:

Hi Laura,

I have a question about this visa subclass 485. I am an international student, and my visa will expire on 15 of March 2013. Now I am in my country and gonna lodge for this visa online this February. So can I go back to Australia on, may be 10 of March which will be 5 days before it expire? Do I have to mention about this visa subclass 485, if so what can I show as an evidence that I have lodged the visa?

• Laura says:

Hi Peem

Thank you for your comment.

You must be in Australia to apply for a subclass 485 visa. Also, if your subclass 485 visa application is successful, you must be in Australia at the time the visa is granted.

6. Hira Ali says:

I completed 1.5 years Masters Degree back in July 2010 and came back to pakistan..can I apply for this work visa now?

• Laura says:

Hi Hira

Thank you for your comment. To apply for a subclass 485 visa you must hold, or have held, an eligible student visa in the last six months before making a visa application. You must also meet the Australian study requirement in the six months before making your subclass 485 application.

Please note that you must be in Australia to apply for a subclass 485 visa.

7. Amelia says:

How soon will we know if those of us who applied for our student visas before November 2011 are eligible? Will it be judged on a case-by-case basis? My student visa expires in a couple of months, and I’m really quite concerned about my lack of options for staying in Australia. The 485 visa would be a perfect fit, but alas – my nominated occupation is on the wrong list.

• Laura says:

Hi Amelia

Thank you for your comment.

The new post-study work stream of the subclass 485 is only available to those students who have applied for, and been granted, their first student visa on or after 5 November 2011.

8. Santosh Kumar says:

I have a question…i have enrolled for ME in RMIT of 1.5 yrs duration; will i be eligible for post study work permit?

• Laura says:

Hi Santosh

Thanks for following the Migration Blog.

There are a number of requirements that you must meet to apply for, and be granted, a subclass 485 under the Post-Study Work stream. Before applying for a subclass 485 you should assess your eligibility against all of the visa requirements.

One of the key subclass 485 requirements is the Australian study requirement. Broadly speaking, this means that you must have been studying in Australia in a registered course for a period of at least two academic years (92 weeks). This study must be completed in no less than 16 months. Our new factsheet on the Australian study requirement has more detail.

See http://www.immi.gov.au/students/knight/_pdf/temp-graduate-485-visa.pdf.

9. Charlie says:

Hi my student visa is lodged after 5 November 2011 for an Advanced Diploma course in RMIT because they do not offer a degree in it. Does that mean I would only be eligible to pay under subclass 485 through graduate work stream as well?

Thanks

• Laura says:

Hi Charlie

Thank you for your comment.

The post-study work stream is only available for those students who graduate with an eligible degree level qualification. An eligible degree level qualification is an Australian Bachelors Degree, Masters Degree or Doctorate. An Advanced Diploma is not an eligible qualification for the post-study work stream.

Those students who do not have an eligible degree level qualification may still be eligible for the subclass 485 through the graduate work stream.

See http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/485/

10. Andre says:

Hi Laura,

I have a question regarding the other Graduate Visa – Recognized graduate visa (Subclass 476). Just wondering if I am to apply onshore in Australia will I get a bridging visa after the application?
    Thanks

11. Vanesse Lams says:

Hi.

My first student visa application was granted 3 Jun 2011 and my program will end this June 2013. Am I still eligible for the new post-study work arrangement without nominating a skilled occupation as per your paragraph below? My subclass is 573 (Higher Education Sector)

“Therefore applicants under the new post-study work stream will not be required to nominate a skilled occupation or submit a skills assessment. Applicants under the graduate work stream of the subclass 485 will still be required to nominate a skilled occupation and submit a suitable skills assessment.”

Thank you.

• Laura says:

Hi Vanesse

Thank you for your interest in the migration blog.

As mentioned in previous comments, the new post-study work stream of the subclass 485 is only available to those students who have applied for, and been granted, their first student visa on or after 5 November 2011.

12. Sher says:

Hi Laura,

My student visa will expire on 13 March 2013. I’ve planned to go back to my country to get my documents to complete the visa requirements in early Feb. And I will come back to Australia on 20 February 2013 to apply this visa. Do you think that there will be a problem ?

Thank you.

• Laura says:

Hi Sher

Thank you for your comment.

I am unable to discuss individual cases in this forum. Your eligibility for a subclass 485 will depend on a number of factors, including the requirement for the new post-study work stream that you applied for, and were granted your first student visa on or after 5 November 2011. However, please note that you must be in Australia to apply for a subclass 485 visa. Also, if your subclass 485 visa application is successful, you must be in Australia at the time the visa is granted.

13. lisa thompson says:

Hello, I am a phd student who will graduate later this year. I am married we are on a 574 postgraduate visa. what options do i have to become a PR? what if my profession is not on the list? I left my country and a successful carrier to come to australia on a fellowship completely sponsored by a prestigious institution and now what?

thank you for your answer.

14. Jodie says:

Hi Laura,
    I am taking Master of International Business with duration period 18 months (1.5 years). I will be completing my course by mid April 2013 and my visa will be expire on 30 June 2013. Am I eligible to apply The Graduate Work Stream subclass 485? Please let me know as I do really concern about my post-study plan in Australia.
    Thank you for kind assistance.

15. Cristina says:

I have a question regarding the eligibility of Graduate Work stream of the subclass 485. In your article, you said that “Graduate Work stream of the subclass 485 will be for international students who have closely related degree.”

In my case, I´ve studied a Master of Business and then a Graduate Certificate in Mathematical Science, and I am planning to apply as an accountant, which is my previous degree in the bachelor degree, but I didn´t study that in Australia. My master was 1.5 year full-time and the graduate certificate was .5 year full-time. Am I eligible to apply to this visa?

Regards,

• Laura says:

Hi Cristina

Thanks for following the Migration Blog.

As you know, to be granted a subclass 485 visa, applicants must meet the Australian study requirement. Broadly speaking, to meet this requirement, applicants must have studied the equivalent of two academic years in Australia (in no less than 16 months) in a registered course. See http://www.immi.gov.au/students/knight/_pdf/temp-graduate-485-visa.pdf for more detail.

In the case of the Graduate Work stream, the qualifications you use to meet the Australian study requirement must be closely related to your nominated occupation. This means that the skill set underpinning your qualification must be directly transferrable to the nominated occupation, in terms of both the subject matter and the level at which those skills were obtained.

If you are not sure whether your qualifications are closely related to your occupation, you might want to look at the overview of your occupation that is provided in the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO). The Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI) page on the Department’s website can help with this. See http://www.immi.gov.au/asri.

16. Kelly says:

Hi Laura,

I have a question. I studied advanced diploma of hospitality management for 2 years from 2009 to end of 2010 in TAFE, then I transferred to university for 1.5 year on bachelor of hospitality and tourism management. It finished on July 2012. Currently, I’m doing 1 year master of marketing management, and this course will be finished on July 2013. Also I saw sales & marketing manager and sales representative ( industry products) on CSOL. So, according to my condition, I just wondering if I still can apply for 485 visa?

Thank you.

• Laura says:

Hi Kelly

Thank you for your comment.

Unfortunately we are unable to answer case specific queries on this blog. Your eligibility for the subclass 485 will depend on a number of factors. You should review all of the visa requirements before making a subclass 485 application. See the factsheets in the above blog post for more information.

Please note that the CSOL is for people wishing to migrate to Australia with state or territory nomination or through the Employer Nominated Scheme (ENS). The SOL and CSOL can be found at: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/sol/

17. Andre says:

hi Laura,

for the subclass 485 visa Post Study Work stream, what is the rationale / purpose behind the requirement of having to have lodged the first student visa on/after 5 Nov 2011?

That means some people will be unfairly treated / missing out the chance – even if they have studied the same course, commenced the course in the same semester, and also graduated together – just because one applied for the student visa before 5/11/11 and the other after that date?

The Graduate Work stream visa may not be an option either if we cannot nominate an occupation on the skilled occupation list.

thanks & regards
    Andre

• Laura says:

Hi Andre

The 5th of November 2011 was the day that the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement (GTE) came into effect for Student visa applicants. The GTE is the foundation stone of the other Knight Review Reforms (see http://www.immi.gov.au/students/knight/) and is key to maintaining the integrity of the Student visa program. A number of recent changes in the Student visa program, including the introduction of streamlined visa processing for prospective students for eligible courses at participating universities and new post-study work arrangements would not have been possible without the introduction of the GTE.

This requirement has been included because the new post-study work stream is designed to be available for students who have been assessed against more refined integrity tools.
      See http://www.immi.gov.au/students/_pdf/2011-genuine-temporary-entrant.pdf for more information about the GTE.

18. Andy Ellen says:

Dear DIAC

Your announcement that “The post-study work stream of the subclass 485 will be for international students who lodged their FIRST student visa application after the introduction of the genuine temporary entrant requirement (GTE) on 5 November 2011.”

This will confuse and disappoint many genuine students in my opinion.

Many students are presently enrolling for Bachelor Degree courses having previously studied in Australia believing that they will be eligible for a 2 year post study work rights visa upon completion.

Are you seriously saying that a recent Diploma student graduate who has been studying in Australia and now wants to step up a level and study at Bachelor degree level in Australia is not allowed to apply for a temporary post study 485 visa unless they choose a related occupation on the narrow Schedule 1 list of occupations
    http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1.pdf ???

Would that not simply encourage these students to study only those courses that are on Schedule 1 and lead to a repetition of past events when too many students studied only certain courses for future Australian visa purposes??

Surely this will only be step backwards for everyone, including universities and is in danger of driving students to ONLY study Bachelor Degree courses in Accounting, IT, Engineering etc – the very problem that the post 2010 changes was supposed to eradicate??

I am not sure this has been considered carefully enough. I would appreciate your comments

Kind Regards