Quarterly visitor visa statistics now available
The visitor visa program quarterly report for the period ending June 30 (2012) is now available.
For the nine visitor visa subclasses, the report provides information on applications, grants, arrivals and processing times. Highlights from the report include:
- Tourism visitor visa applications remained steady in 2011–12. A decrease in lodgements from citizens of the United Kingdom, Japan, Germany and South Korea were offset by growth in lodgements from citizens of China, India and Indonesia.
- The UK remained the largest source country for tourists to Australia in 2011–12 and China has replaced the USA as the second largest source country.
- Business visitor visa applications increased in 2011–12 by 4.9 per cent compared to 2010–11 and included an increase in applications from citizens of the USA.
- The grant rate for visitor visas for the quarter ending June 30 remained stable at 96.9 per cent, compared with 97 per cent for the same quarter in 2011.
- In the quarter ending June 30, there were 22 587 subclass 676 visas granted under the Approved Destination Status scheme. This is the highest number of visas granted under the scheme for this quarter in the last five years.
- On June 30, there were 202 265 visitor visa holders in Australia.
The quarterly report for the period ending September 30 is expected to be published in late October.