Skip to content
185

Changes to points-tested skilled migration visas

By Robert on 24 Apr 2012 5:11pm

Reforms to Australia’s skilled migration program take effect on 1 July 2012. Included in these reforms are changes to points tested skilled migration visas for migrants who wish to live and work in Australia without employer sponsorship.

Simplifying eligibility requirements, the changes include the introduction of three new points tested skilled migration visas:

• Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa
  • Skilled Nominated (subclass 190) visa
  • Skilled Regional Sponsored (subclass 489) (provisional) visa.

The distinction between onshore and offshore points tested visas and some threshold requirements will be removed – with more importance being placed on the points test to find the best suited independent skilled migrants.

If you want to apply for one of the three new points tested skilled migration visas you will still need to:

• nominate a skilled occupation on the relevant skilled occupation list
  • be under 50 years old
  • have competent English skills.

From 1 July, if you are interested in a points-tested skilled migration visa you will need to complete an expression of interest in SkillSelect. SkillSelect is a new online system where skilled workers interested in migrating to Australia can record their details to be considered for a skilled visa. Only those who are invited by the Australian Government can lodge a visa application.

More information about the changes to the points tested skilled migration visas is available on our website.

Post your questions about the new visas below. As always we cannot provide case-specific advice, but we can answer general questions you may have.

185 Comments
  1. Mike says:

I think what is really missing from the points system is lack of points for people who have an offer of employment from an Australian employer and for whatever reason the employer is not willing to sponsor them for the employer nominated scheme. this is a significant factor for immigrants who are settling in a new country and already have arranged their job in advance

• Karin says:

Mike, thanks for your comment. You make a good point that skilled migrants with jobs already arranged have a better chance of success. You may be interested to know the results of the department’s Continuous Survey of Australia’s Migrants found the best employment outcomes for new migrants were for employer nominiated migrants. Next best were independent skilled migrants who were coming from overseas.

That is one of the reasons why employer nominiated skilled migration has become a much bigger part of the skilled program over the past five years (it is now about 40% of the program – up from about 18% five years ago). This is the part of the program that is designed to address short term skills needs and employers have increasingly been using this stream to address immediate skills needs. Some reforms to ENS were recently announced that are designed to streamline use of the scheme for employers. Our website has more information: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/whats-new-esw.htm#9march

With so many employers and migrants using ENS, there is no provision in the points test for an employment offer. We know some countries do, or have had, points for an employment offer. We think the ENS and RSMS arrangements adequately cover skilled migration options for people already with employment, although they do require a nominiation, not just an offer. The points tested part of the program is designed to meet medium to long term skills needs, which is why it is focused on a limited number of occupations in medium to long term shortage and on well rounded individuals skilled in those occupations. Selecting the skilled migrants with the optimal mix of skills and attributes provides those migrants without an employer sponsor, with the best chance of finding employment and settling in Australia.

2. henry says:

Hi, I am a former international student working as an engineer in WA for almost one year. I will be applying for visa 190 in this coming July but i only have 60 points unless i obtain WA State Sponsorship. My question is, do i apply for State Sponsorship to qualify myself for 65 points before lodging the EOI or after the EOI? And also, how frequent will DIAC invite the candidates for permanent visa application?

Many Thank.

Hi Henry,

If you want to be nominated by a state or territory government for skilled migration, you can enquire with the relevant government agency first about nomination, before submitting your EOI. Alternatively, you can select the state/territory nomination option when you submit an EOI and you may be contacted through SkillSelect by a government agency to organise nomination. You don’t have to have the pass mark score to make an EOI.

We also expect that the program will search the available EOIs to make invitations once a month, subject to occupation ceilings.

Thanks for the question.

3. Kelvin says:

Regarding your recent announcement http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-tested-visas.pdf.

It says no more new applications for 885 visa will be accepted from 01/01/2013, does it mean people can still apply for this subclass AFTER 01/07/2012 and before 01/01/2013? Thank you in advance, and I do really appreciate your response. Cheers.

Hi Kelvin,

Thanks for your questions.

More information about the 885 visa, including eligibility requirements, can be found at these links:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/transitional/885/ (for transitional applicants)

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/885/ (for all other applicants)

4. Kelvin says:

By that I mean those who are waiting for approval of their 485 visa application or those who already held a 485 visa

• Kelvin says:

By that I mean can those who are waiting for approval of their 485 visa application or those who already are holding a 485 visa still apply for this subclass AFTER 01/07/2012 and before 01/01/2013?

5. bhaskar says:

Hi ,

I would like to know the points for working in regional area for 2 years.

I am aware of points for study in regional area but in my case its something different ,I did masters in Brisbane so unable to claim regional study points .presently Living in Regional area and working for 2 years in a Nominated skill,is there any way I can gain points for Regional area 2 years work experience?

I am on 485 visa which expires in July 2013 ,before that I would like to apply for PR . I am short of 10 points out of 65 .

Thanks
    Bhaskar

Hi Bhaskar,

You’re right when you say that the points test awards points for study in a regional area. It also awards points for Australian skilled employment. For this requirement, it doesn’t matter where in Australia you are, but the work still has to be in your nominated skilled occupation or a closely related skilled occupation. As it says in our points table fact sheet, working more than one but less than three years in Australia would allow you to claim five points.

Remember that to have a chance at being invited, you will at least need to meet the pass mark, but you can put in an EOI that doesn’t reach the pass mark and look for things like State/Territory nomination.

6. VIGNESH says:

Hey,Im doing my masters in Information systems,,,, I got my student visa on March 2010 and will be finishing the course by this june…..Am i eligible for Visa 485???

7. Xi Wang says:

Perfect! Like this system so much. Very similar as the one in NZ – EOI system. Approved candidates released fortnight from the pool. Need more information about how AU’s EOI work.

8. tej says:

I am a cook completed Diploma in Hospitality Management in April 2011, I just got TR
    Am I rligable to apply PR?
    Thanks

Hi Tej,

Thanks for the question. You will find more information about the new visas in the fact sheets which I hyperlinked at the top in my original post. Having a look at these will be the best way to check if you will be eligible for one of the new visas from 1 July this year. You should also consider looking at information about employer sponsorship.

9. Tom says:

I did hold a student visa on 8 Feb 2010, and I will finish my degree in July this year, am I eligible to apply for a 885 visa till end of this year or only 485 visa holders on 8 Feb 2010 are eligible?

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your query. The subclass 885 visa will stay open to new applicants until 1 January 2013. Both 8 February 2010 transitional applicants and non-transitional applicants will still be able to apply for an 885 up to 1 January 2013, as long as they meet the visa requirements, which can be found at the following two links:

• victor says:

HI,Robert
      You mean students who have 573 visa before 8 Feb 2010, but graduating end of this year, will not be subject to EOI?

______________________

Hi Victor

People eligible to lodge an application for a subclass 885, 886 or 487 visa will be able to do so until 31 December 2012 using the current application process, and will also be able to submit an EOI for one of the new visa subclasses under SkillSelect from 1 July 2012.

In relation to visa subclasses 885, 886 and 487, the Australian Government has provided transitional arrangements to former international students affected by the reforms to the skilled migration program. These transitional arrangements are in place until 31 December 2012. These visa subclasses will remain open to new applications (both those with access to transitional arrangements and other eligible applicants) after the introduction of SkillSelect on 1 July 2012 until they are closed on 31 December 2012.

We have information about this published on our website http://www.immi.gov.au/students/8-feb-students.htm

• Eua says:

Thanks for the question and reply. I am completing Master of Information Systems in this June and results would be releasing on 29th June. I was so worried that there will be changes for 485 subclass. So I can apply for 485 in July. My student visa expires in March 2013. When I apply for 485, I should be in a bridging visa? when will this bridging visa starts? Does the bridging visa affect after student visa expires?

I have school age children. Do I have to pay school fees when on bridging visa?

thanks

Hi Eua,

Thanks for asking your question. Here is a link to information about bridging visas: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/bridging.htm

School fees are not set by DIAC. They are a matter for the body running the school your children are attending, whether that be a state or territory education department or another body.

10. Adeep says:

Just wondering when will you announce the maximum ceiling for each occupation in skill select. I remember DIAC had announced that further details regarding skill select will be released in April

Hi Adeep,

Thanks for the question.

We envisage that information about points will be published after invitations have been issued. What we mean by this is that you will be able to see at what points score people were invited in the last month. Although this number will change month to month, this will provide you with a helpful guide as to whether your points score is likely to be competitive.

At this stage, it hasn’t been confirmed what information about occupation ceilings will be released and when. Keep checking this Blog, as well as the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website, for more information.

11. Aryan says:

I am an international student. I have done diploma in community welfare in Melbourne . I am working as Aged care worker in Melbourne from last 3 years . I have also done diploma in general nursing in India and have worked as nurse in India for 3 years. I have got ielts score of 6 band each . Now I am on 485 visa .
    So will my experience be counted as closely related to study and am I eligible for EOI .
    Please guide me through. I am in big puzzle that how will I get eligible for Australian permanent residency after working as nurse and aged care worker.

Hi Aryan,

Thanks for your question.

Although your question is very specific, you may be interested to know that the points test requirements regarding whether skilled employment experience in a particular occupation is closely related to your nominated occupation are not changing with the introduction of SkillSelect.

Generally speaking, the department accepts occupations as being ‘closely related’ where the occupations fall within one unit group under the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO). Under ANZSCO, occupations are grouped together to form ‘unit groups’ which is reflected in the first four digits of the ANZSCO number. To determine if an occupation is closely related to their nominated occupation for skilled migration purposes, individuals should refer to the ANZSCO website for information about occupations in the same unit group as their nominated occupation. Information about ANZSCO is available from the website of the Australian Bureau of Statistics. See: http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/1220.0

What will change from 1 July will be that educational qualifications will not have to be closely related to your nominated occupation to attract points.

Not all educational qualifications or skilled employment experience will be awarded points however and the best thing to do is to consult our points test fact sheet above for more information on the types of qualifications and the length of experience necessary to attract points.

12. yahya says:

Hi,
    Just wanted to ask a question relevent to 885. As the 885 visa will be open to apply till the end of this year, do the transitional student and other students have to apply for this visa using skills select or they can apply for 885 using the current application system ( that is the current 65 points.)

Hi Yahya,

Although the 885 visa will continue to allow applications up to 1 January 2013, this will not be through SkillSelect but through the same application processes that exist at the moment.

You can also make an Expression of Interest through SkillSelect if you wish to, but you would be expressing interest in one of the new visa subclasses.

Thanks for the question.

13. Nabajit Saikia says:

Respected Robert,

After reading today’s discussion , it appears to me that if i wish to lodge EOI for Subclass 489 provisional visa under skill select. There is no need to score 65 point to be invited to lodge this appication.
    At this stage , i have 10 points short to reach the passing marks unless i apply for State/Territory nomination. How does State/Territory nomination works. Your suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Your’s sincerely,
    Nabajit

Hi Nabajit,

Thanks for the great question. The first thing to say is that your points score doesn’t have to meet the pass mark to submit an EOI. Remember that putting in an EOI can be for not just the points tested visas but also for others including employer sponsored visas.

You could put in an EOI without enough points to meet the pass mark and select the option in SkillSelect to be considered for State/Territory nomination, which does attract points. Once in the database, you could be nominated by a State or Territory government agency which would give you more points. Provided that with these points you then meet the pass mark, you could be eligible for an invitation.

• Nabajit Saikia says:

Respected Robert,
      Thank you so much for your information.
      I would like to thank you again to DIAC for introducing this
      new informative way to getting touch with the people that clears all your perception. Thanks again.

Your’s sincerely,
      Nabajit

• Bhaksar says:

Hi Robert,

When I look into skill select website for the visa 489, under visa requirements they clearly saying we need to have pass mark to submit EOI.”In order to submit a complete EOI you must meet the points test pass mark. Your complete EOI will then be ranked on the basis of your claims against points test factors. Invitations will be issued to those who achieve the highest rankings, subject to the operation of the occupational ceiling.” After reading this blog and comparing the website I am confused.

Will I be able to submit EOI for 489 visa with 55 points and selecting “available to all states “state/territory government nomination(By Expecting 10 pints for nomination to get pass mark 65)

Please help me, I am short of 10 points and I don’t have state government or employer or relative sponsor .I can only get 10 points by scoring IETLS 7 in each module or Nomination by a state/territory government. I live in Queensland regional area where there is no state sponsorship available; I am a Software engineer working in a Telecommunication Company from 17 months.

Presently I am on 485 visa, Age is 28, Masters in IT, studied in Brisbane for 2 years, Ielts-6 in each, 1 year Australian experience, Assessed as software engineer by ACS (ANZSCO code 261313), Overseas experience 2years 2months as software engineer which is also assessed by ACS under ANZSCO code 261313.

Your suggestion and information is highly appreciated.
      Thanks

• Nuno Sobrinho says:

Dear Robert,

Regarding the future skill select, to be nominated by a State or Territory government agency under the visa that would give us 10 extra points (the future visa 489 i believe), is it not necessary to have 65 points under the general points list?

As i understood from your response to Nabajit, will we be able to apply to a state/territory nomination with 55 points general score?

Kind regards,
      Nuno

Hi Nuno,

Thanks for your question. Under SkillSelect, you won’t receive an invitation unless you have at least the pass mark score. But you can submit an EOI with a score below the pass mark.

Let me explain – under the 190 and 489 visa options, points are available for state or territory government nomination. For the 190 visa it is 5 points and for the 489 visa it is 10 points. Because you can be nominated by a state or territory once you’re in SkillSelect, it is possible that you could submit an EOI with less points than the pass mark and be invited by a state, if the extra points that nomination gives you would lift your score up to the pass mark. Remember though that you would need to be nominated for a state or territory nominated visa and if you don’t get nominated, or if even with a nomination you don’t reach the pass mark, then you won’t be invited to apply for a nominated visa.

Another important point is that you can still submit an EOI without sufficient points if you want to consider employer sponsorship as an option. Employer sponsored visas don’t require a points test and SkillSelect will be a great way for potential employers to get in touch with people who might want to migrate under employer sponsorship.

Finally, as I’ve made clear before, it is important to remember that the pass mark is a tool that is designed to move to help manage the skilled migration program. It can move up or down, depending on what might be in Australia’s interests. If it moves down, people who were just under the pass mark might then become eligible for an invitation. Any changes to the pass mark would be published on our website.

Hi Bhaksar,

Thanks for your great question. What we mean with the information under the 489 heading on the SkillSelect website is a reminder that only people who meet the pass mark can be invited to apply for a points-tested visa. Thanks to the comments from you, Nuno and others; we’ll take another look at the information and see if we can make it clearer by adding some further text. While you can submit an EOI, if you don’t meet the pass mark, (including with the addition of any points for state or territory government nomination), then you won’t be invited.

If you don’t meet the pass mark without those extra points then you would not be invited for an independent visa. Also, if even with the nomination points you still don’t meet the pass mark, then you could not be invited for a state/territory nominated visa. But as I’ve explained to others, there may be other reasons why you would want to submit an EOI.

One such reason might be that you want submit an EOI without sufficient points as you want to consider employer sponsorship as an option, as SkillSelect will be a great way for potential employers to get in touch with people who might want to migrate under employer sponsorship.

14. Bryan says:

Just wondering, I have a relative that is already a permanent residence in Australia and I just want to know if there is financial ceiling that they need to achieve in order for them to sponsor me for a Skilled Sponsored Visa?

Also, if they will file an application in May, should I still undergo the new system for lodging of application that will be implemented in July 2012?

Hello Bryan,

Thanks for the question.

At the moment, although there is not a financial ceiling that a family member has to meet to sponsor you, part of family sponsorship is that your family sponsor has to make a sponsorship undertaking. This includes agreeing to provide financial assistance as required to meet your reasonable living needs for up to two years from when you arrive in Australia.

You should also be aware that in the new points tested visas from 1 July, only the subclass 489 provisional visa will allow for family sponsorship.

To answer your second question, you can lodge an application for one of the current visa subclasses up to the day they close. So, if you want to apply for one of the current points tested visas in May as you’ve suggested, then your application will not be under SkillSelect.

15. ERIC says:

Hi,

Just wondering under EOI how to claim parnter bonus as one of the current condition is two year study/6 months completion or 1 year work exp in two years? Will the condition of Australian study/work exp requirement be removed under EOI system?

Thank you.

Hi Eric,

The Australian study requirement and the recent work experience requirement have been removed as minimum requirements. However, although they have been removed as minimum requirements, they still remain factors in the points test and you can still claim points for them (if you qualify for points through the work experience or Australian Study components of the points test).

You should also know that under the points test, you can claim points for your spouse or de facto partner if they apply for the same visa as you and, at the time you are invited, they are under 50, have at least competent English, have a nominated occupation on the skilled occupation list and have had their skills assessed as suitable by their nominated occupation’s assessing authority.

Don’t forget to have a look at our facts sheets which are at the following link: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/new-skilled.htm

16. suresh says:

Hi Robert

I am currently holding bridging visa A(for 485),which i applied on 25 august 2011, and i am expecting my visa(485) by august 2012. currently i am doing my Professional year course which is due complete on July 13 2012. if i complete PYP program, i will gain enough points(i.e 65).
    My question is do i need to apply for EOI or i can directly apply for 885 before 1/1/2013.

Hoping for your kind response.

Hi Suresh,

You could do either, or both – the choice is yours. The completion of a Professional Year (PY) program will continue to attract points for points-tested visas under the new system from 1 July. So, once you’ve finished your PY program, you might want to submit an EOI for one of the new visas.

As we’ve already mentioned, the 885 visa will stay open for new applications until 1 January 2013.

Don’t forget, though, that the points test pass mark could change at any time and as always, you will need to look at the particular visa requirements of any visa you are looking at very carefully, to ensure that you meet those requirements.

17. Savi says:

Hi Currently I am on visa 485 and my background is Nursing from overseas. I am planning to complete my degree with one year program so currently I have 7 score in my ielts am I eligible to apply for PR after these changes? Or the English requirement is going to change for the nurses.

18. Stephen says:

I have 60 points as a secondary school teacher. I am newly qualified with no PAID experience. My aunt can sponsor me in Perth. Is that still an extra 10 points to bring me up to 70? Also, will there be a league table to show where each person is according to their points?

Hi Stephen

You’re right when you say that sponsorship by an eligible family member will attract ten points under the points test, but only for the 489 skilled regional (provisional) visa (which will be the only new visa that will allow for you to be sponsored by an eligible family member). You will also need to make sure that the family member that you are hoping to have sponsor you will be eligible to do so. For example, you might want to check with the following link to make sure that your sponsor lives in the required location: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/specified-regional.htm

There are no current plans by the Department to publish any kind of league table, which will show individuals’ rankings against each other. There is an intention to publish the score at which people are invited each month, so people can have an idea of what score invitations are issued at.

Thanks for the questions.

19. Chetan Sharma says:

I think skillset is great initiative in terms of skilled migration but my only question is who will get invitation i.e those who have scored required 65 points or it’s based on candidate profile or any other factors.

Suppose I am mechanical engineer professional with 65 points then, Is my invitation is confirmed ?? or there are other requirements.

My understanding till now is that ,if any one score say 70 points then he/she will be invited first than who have scored 65 points so its a cutoff based system just like taking admission in prestigious universities with a difference that professional fields of migrants will also be a big factor for recieving a invitation i.e Depends who is required more urgently eg:- engineers or accounts etc ete

Is my understanding is correct,please let me know ???

20. Kirit says:

Hello,

I’m referring to http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-tested-migration-fact-sheet.pdf and it states that 10 points are awarded for IELTS 7 / OET B. I want to know if overall band of 7 in IELTS is good enough to earn 10 points or 7 in each test (L,R,W,S) is needed for the same.

Thanks

Hi Kirit,

Thanks for your question. The Department’s requirements for IELTS scores (including for points and for minimum requirements) are that the particular score is achieved in each of the four components. So, in your example, an overall band of 7 alone would not be enough to get 10 points – you would have to have 7 or higher in each component.

21. Hassan says:

Hi,

I am an engineer with 13 year work experiences including 1 year Australian and 12 years overseas. my wife is doing a PHD and she has applied for a processional assessment, but the VET cannot do the assessment before 1 July. At the end of the day, I will be the main applicant but we are not sure that we can lodge before 1 July. I am just wondering what is the affect of new changes in my case?

Thanks for your question Hassan

While we don’t answer case specific questions on this blog, other people may have similar questions relating to this scenario. There are a number of options you may wish to consider.

If you meet the requirements for a points tested skilled visa prior to 1 July 2012, you can submit an application under the current system. While the new visas (189, 190 and 489) will be introduced from 1 July 2012, there will be a period of overlap where eligible people in Australia can continue to apply for the existing points-tested skilled migration visas. The 885, 886 and 487 visas will stay open for applications for six months until 1 January 2013.

People already in Australia who want to apply for a skilled migration visa during this period, including those eligible for transitional arrangements, can apply for a 885, 886 or 487 visa and/or submit an EOI for one of the new visas in this period if they wish.

22. Chow says:

hi how are you,
    actually i got one question but i no really where should i leave my question to.
    i just wonder what happen to 886 Australian sponsor applicant?it been hold for few week time. is that reaching the cap or some other reason?
    or we can know how many quote for 886 relation?

• Karin says:

Chow, we will be publishing information about the processing of the subclass 886 visas on our website today. Keep an eye out on this blog for a further update.

23. Rizwan says:

Hi, I have already got my 485 visa. Next year I am planning to apply for 885 visa. Are these new rules effecting me as well?

24. Islam says:

Hi,

I’ve applied for temporary visa 485 and waiting for case officer to be allocated. At the moment I’m doing my professional year in accounting. After completing my professional year, I’ll be able to get required 65 points. All I need is my temporary visa 485 to apply for visa 885. As per your changes, if i get visa 485 after 1st July 2012. Will I still be able to apply for visa 885 before 1st Jan 2013?

Appreciate your response in advance.

Hi Islam

If you are granted your subclass 485 visa after 1 July 2012, provided you meet all the other eligibility requirements you are able to apply for a subclass 885 visa before 1 January 2013 using the current application process (http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/885/). You could also consider applying for a 885, 886 or 487 visa and submitting an EOI for one of the new visas in this period.

25. Wen Du says:

Hi, I will graduate at this July. And my student visa will expire at September. After September, I might hold a bridge visa for 485. So I am wondering that whether I am eligible for applying 885 if I would meet other requirements before 1.1.2013? Thanks a lot!

• Karin says:

When you graduate, if you meet the requirements for a subclass 885 visa you can submit an application before your student visa expires.

Remember, people already in Australia who want to apply for a skilled migration visa during this period can apply for a 885, 886 or 487 visa and/orsubmit an EOI for one of the new visas in this period if they wish.

26. Shuai says:

According to your comments that “Both 8 February 2010 transitional applicants and non-transitional applicants will still be able to apply for an 885 up to 1 January 2013, as long as they meet the visa requirements”, do you mean that non-transitional applicants can still apply for an 885 till 1 January 2013 without submitting an EOI? I am looking forward to your reply and thank you in advance.

Hi Shuai,

Transitional applicants and non-transitional applicants can both apply for the 885 visa until 1 January 2013. Both groups of people will still need to make sure that they meet all requirements of the visa, which include nominating a skilled occupation on the skilled occupation list. Remember that transitional applicants may have access to two different skilled occupation lists – the one which applied on 8 February 2010 and the one which applies at the time they apply for the visa. Non-transitional applicants will only have access to the skilled occupation list which applies at the time they apply for the visa.

The 885 visa will not come under SkillSelect and the application process will be the same as it is at the moment.

• vicki says:

Hi Robert:

Can we understand your comments ““Both 8 February 2010 transitional applicants and non-transitional applicants will still be able to apply for an 885 up to 1 January 2013, as long as they meet the visa requirements”, in this way that the transctional applicants can apply the 885 visa before the 1 January 2013, and the non-transctional applicants can apply the 885 visa before 1 July 2012, the EOI will apply the non-transactional applicants after 1 July 2012. Please kindly advise.

27. vivian says:

I would like to confirm with you whether 885 program will run parallel with 189 after 1 July 2012 until 31 Dec 2012? if this is the case, does that mean that effectively applicant will only need to apply for EOI after 31 Dec 2012? because if applicant can still access 885 program, why would they go through EOI before 31 Dec 2012?

Hi Vivian,

Yes, the 885 will run in parallel with the new visa subclasses until 1 January 2013 but will not be a part of SkillSelect.

As we’ve mentioned a lot lately, SkillSelect and the EOI system will have benefits for lots of people, including those of you who want to migrate to Australia. Submitting an EOI in SkillSelect will give you an opportunity to be considered for lots of different types of visas, rather than just one particular subclass at a time, which the current application system would allow for. Ultimately the decision is yours to make while both the 885 and SkillSelect are options, so you might find that you want to submit an EOI through SkillSelect soon after it opens on 1 July, rather than wait until the start of next year.

Thanks for the question.

28. raja says:

“Overseas skilled employment in nominated skilled occupation or a closely related skilled occupation, of past 10 years”

Does this mean that skilled employment points will not be wasted if I quit my job now and study 2 or more years and then lodge the application ?

Thanks .

Raja

You can claim points for both Australian skilled employment and overseas skilled employment experience in your skilled occupation or a closely related occupation provided it was undertaken in the 10 years prior to your invitation (if you are invited).

29. AYESHSH says:

hi,
    i m doing masters in information systems. and will be finishing it in feb 2013. i dont know what are my chances or possible ways to get PR. as every other person is talking abt change in july.
    kind regrds

• Karin says:

Thanks for your comment. If you are thinking of skilled migration in 2013, the you will need to consider the SkillSelect system. The skilled migration program is highly competitive. Ultimately it is designed to meet Australia’s needs, which means selecting the people best suited to those needs, rather than everyone who would like to come here. Check our website for visa options closer to your graduation.

30. Ray says:

Did you mean that we can still lodge 885 visa application without going through EOI in Australia until 1 Jan 2013 as long as we meet 885 visa requirements?

Thank you!

Hi Ray,

31. Cat says:

Referring to one of your responses in the comments section:

“You’re right in saying that if you meet all the requirements, you’ll still be able to apply for an 885 visa after 1 July 2012 and up to 1 January 2013. This is the case for transitional applicants and for non-transitional applicants. The 885 visa regulations will not change on 1 July 2012, so if you do apply for this visa before 1 January 2013, you will still need to meet the same basic requirements for it that you do now. For non-transitional applicants, this includes things like having to nominate an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List current at the time of application.”

Is that meant the Skill Select system/EOI will not be started for the onshore applicant (e.g. 885 applicants) until 1 January 2013? Could you please clarify your response? Thanks!

Hi Cat,

The 885 visa will not be a part of SkillSelect. The new visas we are introducing on 1 July 2012 do not distinguish between onshore and offshore. So, if you are in Australia and want to consider a points-tested skilled migration visa, from 1 July 2012 you can put in an EOI for one of the new visa subclasses. You can also, until 1 January 2013, apply for an 885 visa, if you meet the eligibility requirements for that visa. So, people in Australia between 1 July 2012 and 1 January 2013 have two different options.

Thanks for your query!

32. Arin Seal says:

Hi,

I am currently in process of applying for my permanent residency, 886 visa, via state/territory nomination. I currently, hold a 485 visa. Am I eligible to apply for an 886 visa?

I spoke to someone from Immigration this morning over the phone, and they said that it will phase out and if you are applying after July 1, 2012 I will need to follow the amendments that takes place on July 1.

Please reply.

Thanks.

Hi Arin,

Just like the 885 visa (as well as the 487 visa), the 886 visa will close to new applicants on 1 January 2013. Up until this time, you can continue to apply for the 886 visa (even between 1 July 2012 and 1 January 2013), but as always you will still need to meet the visa requirements, including those surrounding State/Territory nomination if this is the option you are interested in.

Hopefully this clears things up for you.

33. Chen says:

Hi, I graduated last November, which means I have already graduated more than 6 months, and applied for the 485 visa, holding Bridging visa A. I noticed that the 885 visa will be replaced by 189 visa, which can be applied by anyone holding a substantive visa. Here comes my question: Is it possible for onshore graduates like me to apply 885 visa when holding Bridging visa A or apply 189 visa through EOI system after 1 July 2012 not after 1 January 2013.

U know, it usually takes a loooooong time to be granted the 485 visa. If I cannot apply for a permanent residential visa along with the 485 visa, this change may result in another 6-month waiting for me.

Thanks a lot.

Hi Chen,

Although the 885 visa subclass will remain open for new applications until 1 January 2013, you will still need to meet the same requirements for that visa as exist at the moment. So, if you want to apply for an 885 before they close, you should look carefully at the requirements for that visa, including those about which visas you need to hold when you apply.

Remember that submitting an EOI is not the same thing as a visa application. So, this means that you do not get a bridging visa for submitting an EOI. However, you can submit an EOI for one of the new visas from 1 July 2012 and this might give you more visa options.

34. yang lei says:

Hi there :
    i have a question regarding the arrangement for 885 applications that are made during 1st/july and 1/1/2013.since EOI will be effective from July,is my 885 application going to be processed under EOI? by saying which i mean ,for example ,do i have to wait for an invitation as well after i lodged my 885 application after 1/7/2012? or my application will be processed the way they use to be done?

cheers

• Ben says:

Hi Yang,

Thanks for your comment. Provided you meet the eligibility requirements you may apply for the subclass 885 visa until the end of 2012. Subclass 885 visa applications will continue to be processed under the current visa system and not through SkillSelect.

35. Mac says:

Hi,
    As written in the early post, we would be able to apply for 885 visa till 31st dec 2012. Does it mean if we making 65 points by this time, we would be able to apply for 885 visa and do not need to go through EOI process? I mean I have my all points (65) ready with skill assessment in current SOL occupation, PY rogram, 7 each ielts, 25 yrs of age, etc but if my 485 visa is approved after 1st july then I will go through the system after it. So in that case, i can still apply for 885 visa without EOI process?

Thanks

36. Lydia says:

Hi Dear Kelvin,
    I was looking at your blog but come comments you made is a bit confused me.
    In the fact sheet, it said the Either onshore apply and off shore aplly will combine into one scheme which are 189 190 489 after 1/7/12
    However, you said that people can still apply for 885 after 1/7/12 until 31/12/12.
    How can we apply for a visa which is no exist at that time?
    At the mean time, I am not sure about the meaning of transitional and non transitional migrates, could you please advise me with this?
    thank you very much for your help and I’m looking forward to hearing from you.
    Lydia

• Karin says:

There will be an overlap between the new SkillSelect process and the current visa framework. In essence, until 1 January 2013, we will be running two systems. One being SkillSelect where you can make an EOI, the other being the current application process for the 885, 886 and 487 visas.

To clarify, with the introduction of SkillSelect on 1 July 2012 there will be three new visa subclasses available. The 189, 190 and the 489 visas and will be available to those people who submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) through SkillSelect and are then invited to submit a visa application. The 175, 176 and 475 visas will close on 1 July 2012.

From 1 July 2012 though the visas 885, 886 and 487 will remain open. There will be a period of overlap, where we will still be accepting applications for visas 885, 886 and 487 under the current system. What this means is if you meet the requirements for one of these visas, you have until the end of the year to submit a visa application and you don’t need to lodge an EOI through SkillSelect.

To answer your question about transitional arrangements, when the Australian Government announced changes to the skilled migration program on 8 February 2010. As part of this change, the Australian Government considered current and former students already in Australia and provided those people with generous transitional arrangements. Have a look at the information on our website:

37. Naveed Abid says:

Hey,
    My Question is that is the Pass marks (65) for the Skilled Independent Visa is expected to be revised and…?

Hi Naveed,

The pass mark is a tool that allows for management of the skilled migration program, and it is within the power of the Minister to change the pass mark in response to Australian labour market needs. The pass mark for points tested visas is currently set at 65, and any changes to the pass mark would be announced on our website.

It is important to understand that SkillSelect will change the relationship between the pass mark and visa applications. At the moment, anyone who lodges an application and meets or exceeds the pass mark can be granted a points tested skilled migration visa. From 1 July, the pass mark will be the minimum score required in order to receive an invitation for the points tested visas. However, under SkillSelect, because only the people who have the highest points scores will be invited, not everyone who meets the pass mark will necessarily get invited to apply.

Thanks for your question.

38. Faith G says:

Hi Robert,

Did you mean we can still apply for 885 visa directly without submitting EOI before 1 Jan 2013?
    As I’m very confused that the new policy say everyone may access to the new Skill tests system on 1 July 2012, but the 885 will be replaced by 1 Jan 2013. Does that mean we can either apply 885 or new 189 visa before 1 Jan 2013 and if we choose to lodge 885 visa, we can ignore EOI process at all?

Hi Faith,

Yes, if you wish, between 1 July 2012 and 1 January 2013 you can apply for one of the onshore points tested visas (885, 886, 487), provided you meet the eligibility requirements to make an application, or you can submit an EOI through SkillSelect for one of the new visas or you can do both. Remember that SkillSelect may give you opportunities to look at other types of visas, such as employed sponsored ones, so we would encourage you to look at the SkillSelect option.

39. Deepak, Australia says:

I am dilemma because of the changes of point system from time to time. I completed the advanced diploma in Business Management . and had work experience in community services and at the movement holding 573 visa and studying bachelor of Environmental Science.!!!!! and had 2 yr to complete.How am I able to apply for PR??? any suggestion would be highly appreciated. Thanks

• Karin says:

Deepak – it is important that you understand that the skilled migration program is designed to meet the changing needs of the Australian economy. When you come to Australia to study, there is no way of knowing that completing a particular course makes you eligible for skilled migration to Australia. You should really be focusing on a course that provides you with the best education available and enjoy the experience of studying and living in Australia. The skilled migration program is highly competitive and is designed to meet Australia’s labour market needs. I would suggest that you check our website for visa options closer to your graduation.

40. Leigh says:

Hi,

I am planning to apply for 487 provisional visa this year. But currently, I am short of 5 points. If I can get another 5 points and launch my 487 application between July 1 2012 and Jan 1 2013, do I need to file an EOI?

I am holding a student visa.

Many Thanks

Hi Leigh,

Just like the 885 and 886 visas, the 487 visa is an onshore points-tested visa and will stay open to new applications until 1 January 2013. Remember that in any case, with any visa, you will need to make sure you meet the particular visa’s requirements.

The 487 visa will not be a part of SkillSelect and between 1 July 2012 and 1 January 2013 you would continue to apply for it in the same way you would now. However, the new 489 provisional visa will be a part of SkillSelect. You can compare the 487 and 489 visas in the fact sheets which are at the top of the page.

41. Bert says:

Good day!

My friend currently has a Graduate Visa and she is finishing her master’s degree in Melbourne. Given the changes with the visas, what would be the best visa class for her to get permanent residence?

Thank you in advance!

Hi Bert

I’d suggest that your friend read through the factsheets we linked to in this blog post. These have information about the new visas being introduced from 1 July 2012, and also important information about the existing visas which will stay open until the end of the year. Ultimately, your friend needs to understand her options and choose the best one for her.

42. Ted says:

I had a student visa on 8th Feb 2010 and I applied for 485 visa on 5th March 2011. My 485 visa was granted recently.

I would like to ask if I want to apply for 885 PR visa, which point test system applies to me?

Thanks for your kind reply

• Robert says:

Thanks for your question Ted. You might first want to have a read of the information on the following link to help determine which points test will apply for you: http://www.immi.gov.au/students/news/2010/international-students.htm

As you were a student visa holder on 8th February 2010 but not a 485 holder on that date, if you choose to apply for a permanent visa you will be assessed against the particular points test in effect at the time you apply for the permanent visa.

43. Dan says:

Hi Officer,

Two questions as below:
    1. I wonder whether there is a minimum pass mark for submitting the EOI. If there is, is it 65 or to be decided later on?
    2. It is supposed that I can apply the nomination from the state or government before submitting EOI in subclass 190 schema. But sometimes, the nomination might expire (I am not quite sure) before the invitation is sent out. Is that a valid case?

Thanks,
    Dan

Hi Dan,

It’s important that everyone knows that while the points tested visas have a pass mark that needs to be met if an invitation is going to be issued, you don’t need to meet the pass mark to submit an EOI. This is because submitting an EOI can give you access to options other than just the points tested visas.

Further, as I mentioned in an earlier response, it’s important to understand that SkillSelect will change the relationship between the pass mark and visa applications. At the moment, anyone who lodges an application and meets or exceeds the pass mark can be granted a points tested skilled migration visa. From 1 July, the pass mark will be the minimum score required in order to receive an invitation for the points tested visas. However, under SkillSelect, because only the people who have the highest points scores will be invited, not everyone who meets the pass mark will necessarily get invited to apply.

Nominations under SkillSelect can work in two different ways. If you want to be nominated by a state or territory government for skilled migration, you can enquire with the relevant government agency first about nomination, before submitting your EOI. Alternatively, you can select the state/territory nomination option when you submit an EOI and you may be contacted through SkillSelect by a government agency to organise nomination. Once you are nominated and in the SkillSelect database, you will then receive an invitation, so in this case the nomination would not expire before the invitation.

It will, however, always remain an option for State or Territory government agencies to withdraw their nomination in certain circumstances, so you should check with them for more information about this.

44. Dong says:

Thanks for the post.
    Is DIAC considering giving extra points to onshore trades students who participate in the Job Ready Program? The Professional Year and Job Ready Program have common features: Professional Development training, genuine Australian work experience, while PY participants can be given extra 5 points and Job Ready Program participants get no point. As a former migration advisor, I’ve been told by a lot employers that in some trades particularly automotive industry, it is extremely hard for a small business to sponsor a oversea skilled workers, because of long visa processing time, and hard to test a oversea worker’s real skill in a real workplace, and participants who complete the Job Ready Program are the most suitable for their companies. So I certainly think DIAC should give extra points for Job Ready Program participants who are high skilled and most needed by Australian job market.

Hi Dong

Thanks for your suggestion, though the points test and factors which attract points will remain unchanged.

Employer nominated skilled migration has become a much bigger part of the permanent skilled program over the past five years and employers have been using this stream to address their immediate skill needs. Additionally, the number of temporary skilled workers (Visa 457) in Australia was at an all time high in March 2012.

While there are no plans to offer points for those who participate in the Job Ready Program, it is good to hear that employers value the program. The program was established as part of the skilled migration reforms to provide international students who have graduated from an Australian trade qualification with the opportunity to demonstrate their job readiness (for migration purposes) through employment and a skills assessment process.

45. James says:

It’s not clear whether the SOL Schedule 1 and Schedule 2 distinction will still apply.

Currently SOL Sch 2 occupations can only apply if under a SMP (176 nominated or 475 nominated).

Will this distinction continue with SOL Schedule 2 occupations only for 190 and 489 nominated ? Meaning a Schedule 2 occupation would never be invited in the monthly selections and would only be invited to apply if nominated by a State/Territory.

Hi James

Thanks for your comments. The skilled occupation lists will be used in much the same way as they are now. The Skilled Occupation List sets out occupations eligible for skilled migration for those people without an employer or a state or territory government nomination. Much larger lists of occupations exist for those people with an employer or state/territory nomination.

The SOL is reviewed every year by Skills Australia, who provide advice on highly skilled occupations in medium to long term need where skilled migration could help address these needs. They base these recommendations on extensive research and consultation. Each year they receive public submissions about the SOL. Their website has lots of information about how they go about this process as well as summary data for each occupation.

Any changes to the SOL are made in July each year. You can keep updated on changes to the SOL by checking the department’s website.

46. James says:

ICT Project Managers are not in current SOL. This is despite previous high demand (Victoria was nominated ICT project managers previously under the ASCO 2231-79 ICT NEC classification). I suspect this is an oversight from the ASCO to ANZSCO conversion as there was no ASCO classification to map to ANZSCO. Can you confirm if ICT Project Managers will be in the SOL from 1st July ?

47. Craig says:

Hi, Iam a plumber and I’m going through the visa process at the moment but I’m worried about the July 1st changes. I’m hoping I can get our 176 application lodged before July 1 but if not I’m worried we will be sat in the visa pool for 2 years. Will we be updated of the queuing system once we have expressed our EOI? Will we know how many plumbers are needed and how far down the que we are? Or is it just a waiting game? If I have a positive IELTS, Skills test and State Sponsorship will this put us in a better position than most or is this required for all EOI?

Many Thanks.

Hi Craig

We envisage that information about points will be published after invitations have been issued. What we mean by this is that you will be able to see at what points score people were invited in the last month. Although this number will change month to month, this will provide you with a guide as to whether your points score is likely to be competitive.

You might also want to look at employer sponsorship or state/territory government agency nomination through SkillSelect. SkillSelect allow employers to identify and contact skilled workers to fill skill shortages. When you submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) you can indicate an interest in employer sponsorship and the states and territories of Australia where you are willing to live and work.

48. Michelle says:

Hi
    The info on the DIAC webiste regarding the subclass 190 visa states ‘allows visa holder to live and work anywhere in Australia’. Does this mean the 2 yr obligation to remain in the state that nominates you will no longer be there?
    Thanks
    Michelle

Hi Michelle,

The new visa will not carry a visa condition that imposes a requirement on residence. Note though that the 489 provisional visa will carry a condition that requires a period of residence and work in a regional area.

Thanks for the question.

49. Stacey says:

According to the blog, the application for 885 is not closed until 1/1/2013. In the other words, applicants can still apply for 885 between 1/7/2012 and 1/1/2013. My concern is will those apply in the first half of the 2012-2013 financial year be grouped to G5 and have to wait for a few years before the cases being attended to? Is it possible for candidates to both apply for 885 and register for skillselect if they are eligible for both?

• Karin says:

Hi Stacey – people already in Australia who want to apply for a skilled migration visa during this period can apply for a 885, 886 or 487 visa if they are eligible and/ or submit an EOI for one of the new visas in this period if they wish.

50. Arin Seal says:

Hi,

I currently hold a 485 visa,and I am in process of applying for my 886 visa. Though I am aware that 886 visa application will still be open until Dec 2012, I was told by Immi customer care that after July 1 I won’t be able to.

Please respond.
    Thanks.

51. Chris says:

Hi Robert,

According to your document named “Changes to Points Tested Skilled Migration Visas”, in Key Dates part, it is said that:

From 1 July 2012, individuals both in and outside Australia may lodge an expression of interest (EOI) through SkillSelect for subclasses 189, 190 or 489.

Phasing out of existing points tested skilled migration visa subclasses:

From 1 January 2013, points tested skilled migration visas granted in Australia
    (subclasses 885, 886 and 487) will be closed for new applications.

My question is:
    For those people meeting eligibility requirements of 885, 886 and 487, can they still apply for these visas directly without EOI before 01/01/2013, or all the applicants must apply visas through EOI in Austraila?

Thank you.

Hi Chris

You are correct. If you meet the eligibility requirements of an 885, 886 or 487 you can apply for these visas before 1 January 2013 without going through the EOI process.

52. Welnorze says:

Hi, the visa i currently hold is 485 begins from Mar in this year. I wondering if i meet the English requirement that IELTS band 7 (for all), Naati certificate, age 26, 2 years study, ect which can add up to 65, i can still apply 885 by 1,1,2013 without any relation to EOI? Thank you.

Hi Welnorze

53. Rohit says:

Could you please explain what Non – Transitional applicant means? On Feb 8, 2010 I hold a student visa, and now I am holding 485 Temporary Resident visa and I am due to finish my PY on June 22 , Would I be eligible for 885 Resident visa and do I have time until Jan 1 , 2013 to apply as normal and not through skill select ????

Your help is highly appreciated.

• Ben says:

Hi Rohit,

Thanks for your comment. You can find more information about the transitional arrangements that accompanied previous changes to the skilled migration program at http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/transitional/.

SkillSelect, and the new visa subclasses being introduced with SkillSelect, are not affected in any way by these transitional arrangements.

The subclass 885 visa will remain open to new applicants who meet eligibility requirements for the visa until the end of 2012, regardless of whether they have access to previous transitional arrangements or not.

• Sri says:

Thanks for your reply Ben.

54. vivian says:

Thank you Robert for your prompt reply. How about 175 option, would 175 run parallel with skillselect untill 31 Dec 2012 too?

Many thanks

Vivian

Hi Vivian,

As our fact sheets state, although the 885, 886 and 487 visas will remain open to new applicants until 1 January 2013, the 175, 176 and 475 visas will close to new applicants on 1 July 2012. Applications for these are not through SkillSelect, which starts on 1 July 2012.

55. Bryan says:

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your reply on my queries about Skilled Sponsored Visa.

Further, supposing that my auntie is not working but her husband does, are they qualified to sponsor me?

Hi Bryan,

It all depends on whether your aunt meets the definition of eligible relative. The current definition is available on the website at the following link: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1277.pdf

Your aunt will have to make declarations about supporting you and should read the sponsorship requirements carefully.

Thanks for the question.

56. henry says:

Hi, is the ’886 relevant info’ will be posted in this blog today (as mentioned)?

57. dev says:

Hi
    i had apply for 485 in last dec 2011 through the commercial cookery and hospitality management.i was holding student visa on 8 Feb 2010.i have a good experience as well as a cook.can i now apply for 885 visa until 31st dec 2012.please advice me as i am going through many confusion.i even scored 6 on ielts in each module.and also please suggest me a best way to apply for permanent residency.do i need employer sponsorship or i can apply independent with my own qualification.please kindly reply me .!! thank you

• Ben says:

Hi Dev,

Thanks for following the Migration Blog. The subclass 885 visa will remain open to new applicants until the end of 2012. As with any visa, you need to meet eligibility requirements to make an application. I am unable to advise you of which visa to apply for. This is something that you will need to consider based on your individual circumstances and the different eligibility requirements for each visa.

58. Liqun says:

Hi Robert,

Can I lodge a 885 visa application and express my interest of 189 visa at the same time between July 1 2012 and January 1 2013? It seems that there is no conflict between the two options based on previous comments and answers.

Regards,

Liqun Niu

Hi Liqun
      Yes you can, provided you meet the requirements for doing both.While the new visas (189, 190 and 489) will be introduced from 1 July 2012,

People already in Australia who want to apply for a skilled migration visa during this period can apply for a 885, 886 or 487 visa and/ or submit an EOI for one of the new visas in this period if they wish.

59. Balmiki says:

Hi,

What point is awarded for the applicant who is already 24 but not 25 by few months?
    I have 60 points till now, can I fill up expression of interest without having 65 points?
    Will any points be awarded for 8 months work experience?

• Ben says:

Hi Balmiki,

Thanks for your comment. A 24 year old applicant will receive 25 points on the skilled migration points test. No points are awarded for 8 months work experience.

You are able to submit an EOI without meeting the points test pass mark. However you will not receive an invitation to apply for one of the new points-tested skilled migration visas unless you meet the points test pass mark. Also, under SkillSelect, meeting the points test pass mark will not necessarily result in the grant of a visa. The likelihood of receiving an invitation to apply will be based on your ranking and points score. People with more points will be more likely to be invited to apply for a visa.

60. Jaspreet singh Bajwa says:

Sir/Madam,
    With due respect,
    I am waiting for Designated area sponsored – skilled (496) visa class since Aug 2007. I was looking at today’s update. And could not understand what is there for us? Designated – Area Sponsored – Skilled(496) applicants. Well, is there any qouta for us during this financial year.
    With best Regards,
    Jaspreet Singh Bajwa

Hi Jaspreet
      Have a look at the blog post we published about Migration Program planning levels and priority processing arrangements.

• Jaspreet singh Bajwa says:

Thank you very much for the reply..
      As it has been mentioned here, [Quote]“It may also be necessary to limit the allocation of visa applications in the skilled Australian sponsored categories this program year, because there are only a few places remaining in this visa category”.[UnQuote]
      So, does that mean some of the Australian Sponsored Applications will be processed during this financial year ?
      Designated area sponsored – skilled (496) visa ???
      Is this visa class fall under Skilled Australian Sponsored category?
      With best regards,
      Jaspreet..

61. Patrick says:

In reading this link http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-tested-visas.pdf,

it state clearly from the link that “From 1 July 2012, the distinction between the locations of a visa applicant WILL BE REMOVED and these six subclasses WILL BE REPLACED by three new points tested skilled migration visa subclasses.”

But from reading from your blog, it state that there is a 6 months period where 885 and 886 can still allowed to apply until end of 2012.So, which information can I rely on?

Hi Patrick,

The fact sheet you refer to above also provides the dates for the timing of the change. While the old visas are being replaced, that ‘replacement’ is staggered, so that although the new visas will start (through SkillSelect) on 1 July 2012, the offshore visas they replace (175, 176 and 475) will close on 1 July 2012 but the onshore visas they replace (885, 886 and 487) will close on 1 January 2013.

So, you are right when you say that between 1 July 2012 and 1 January 2013, you can still apply for an 885, 886 or 487 visa as well as submit an EOI for one of the new visas under SkillSelect.

From 1 January 2013, the 189, 190 and 489 visas through SkillSelect will be the only option for points-tested visas.

62. Rob says:

Hi,

Your information says “The main difference will be that scores against points test factors will be fixed at time of invitation rather than time of visa application or decision.”

This implies that someone who meets the pass mark at time of EoI might no longer meet the pass mark at time of invitation because he/she got older and then is in a different age group which attracts less points. Will DIAC consider to fix the points test factor for age at time of EoI instead of time of invitation?

Hi Rob

For the new subclasses, points for age will be determined based on age at time of invitation. This is an intentional setting. SkillSelect will calculate any points you receive for age based on the date of birth you entered when you submitted your EOI. If your age changes while your EOI is active and this results in a change in the allocated points score for that age, then SkillSelect will update your points score and ranking automatically. SkillSelect will also notify you electronically that the system has updated your points score.

63. Malit Janaka says:

Hi Karin, In the update of the 24th, I came to understand that the category 496 offshore (application loged on the 29th August 2007) to which I belong, has been stalled due to the small number of visa places available. Is it a permanent cap and cease, or is it provisional in which case, when will they begin the processing? Can we keep any hope? Can you indicate to me, an approximate date. Thanks.

Hi Malit

Check out the latest blog post relating to this topic for some more comments and responses which answer this question. The Australian Government sets planning levels for the migration program, including a set number of places within specific categories. The allocation of Designated – Area Sponsored – Skilled(496) applications have ceased because there is a limited amount of visa places in this category.

• Jaspreet singh Bajwa says:

That’s amazing to read…
      Does that mean there are no more processing for 496 offshore?

• Malit Janaka says:

Thanks for the quick feed back. Pl answer the two following questions:
      1. Is it a permanent cease or will the cases be taken up next financial year?
      2. What is the link to the blog?
      Thanks a lot.

64. Cristina says:

Hello

I just wanted to find out if we can apply directly to the state for sponsorship after launching an EOI and then update our EOI application if the state does choose to sponsor us, or does all state sponsorship now go through Skillselect and there will be no option to apply to the State directly? Many thanks.

• Ben says:

Hi Cristina,

Thanks for your question. SkillSelect allows intending migrants to register their interest in being sponsored by an Australian state or territory government. State and territory governments can then access SkillSelect and contact intending migrants to discuss sponsorship opportunities. If you choose, you may still contact a state or territory government directly to arrange sponsorship.

65. Balmiki says:

Many graduates are between 21 to 23 years old when they graduate. Awarding point 25 to candidates of 19 to 24 old, isn’t this a way to discourage fresh graduates for GSM as lack of 5 points leave them behind applying their permanent residency?

• Ben says:

Hi Balmiki,

Skilled migration aims to strengthen the Australian economy by addressing skill needs in the Australian labour market. The skilled migration points test is designed to select the people who are best suited to meet those needs.

The points test awards maximum points to applicants aged 25 to 32 because research indicates that migrants in this age group add the most benefit to Australia in terms of lifelong labour market performance. Applicants aged 18 to 24 and 33 to 39 are awarded 25 points – the second highest amount of points available for age on the points test.

66. Lucy says:

Hi Robert !

I’m sort of overwhelmed with all the changes and transitional arrangements. To be honest that I’m not sure which one is applicable to me. Since a visa is the only way for me to stay in Australia legally, therefore I want to be confirmed from someone who knows about the amendments.

I held a student visa (subclass 574) on 8th February 2010 and obtained a Master of Engineering as a result of my two years study in June 2010. In July 2010, I applied for a 485 visa. I was granted the 485 visa in September 2011. As you know, there was a huge backlog that time. I have been studying towards a Ph. D degree since February 2011. Now these are the questions keep me pondering:

1) Do I fall in the points test introduced from 1st of July, 2011 ?
    2) Will I be falling under new EOI system starting from 1st of July, 2012 ?

I called Immigration last months and explained my scenario. I was advised that once my 485 expires, I can apply for student visa if I have genuine intention to study. However, I have to go back to my country of origin to apply since I left Australia on 485 to US and returned Australia. I didn’t find anything related to this in the website though.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Hi Lucy

In the scenario you have mentioned, provided you meet the requirements to apply, you have until the end of 2012 to apply for a 885, 886 or 487 visa using the current points test (which is the one introduced on 1 July 2011). You are also able to submit an EOI for one of the new visas during this period, so there are two options available to you. You should go through the materials on the website carefully to determine what you want to do.

67. Susma thap says:

I completed my degree on july 2010 and at present, i am holding a 485 visa which will be expired on june 2012. What will happen after july 2012?

Hi Susma,

Please make sure you make arrangements to either apply for a new visa or depart Australia before your visa expires.

Remember that submitting an EOI is not the same as applying for a visa and will not give you bridging visa rights. Note also that you can submit an EOI from either inside or outside Australia. Thanks for the question.

68. WANG says:

Hello Robert/Kelvin,
    I will complete 1 year work in Australia by mid-Dec this year. Then I will be qualified to apply 885 with One year work experience by 1/1/2013. But I have a few concerns of the following questions. Please advise.

1 year Australian work experience will award 5 points, how is the 1 year work experience defined in terms of unexpected sick leave, annual leave, long public holidays like Christmas and New year? or just ONE year time frame provided by the employer or the work contract should be fine? I took a week off from 26/12/2011 to 1/1/2012 which is the period of Christmas and New Year. Does this mean I have to work 1 extra week to comprise this?

To be able to claim this 5 points of skilled employment, is it required to be assessed by relevant authority to give its opinion on your employment? Or alternatively, can applicants supply the asked documents including payslips, contract, descriptions of main 5 duties, job title etc. to the immigration department directly, not have them assessed by the relevant authority?

I will complete 1 year work by mid-Dec this year, which, I do not believe, it will have enough time to be assessed by the relevant authority and get back to me before 1/1/2013 so that it can be used for claiming 5 points as it will be a long holiday period from the end of Dec to New Year. I don’t know if I can supply the ‘assessed skilled employment’ after I lodge the application ? Please inform.

Thanks so much !!!

69. Harjeet kaur says:

Hi,
    I have already got my 485 and had done masters of professional accounting. Currently I am doing professional year for accounting, which will be completed in August. I have got 7 in each as well. I am just wondering if I can apply for PR without going through EOI before 1st July 2012 or after that. Please reply me as soon as possible. I will appreciate it.

Harjeet

Hi Harjeet,

If you meet the requirements that exist at a particular point in time, you should consider the visa options available to you at that time. Which option best suits you is ultimately up to you. I would strongly recommend, however, that you look at each option very carefully before you make a decision. Remember, SkillSelect commences from 1 July 2012, so if you think that the best option for you is through SkillSelect, you will need to wait until then to submit an EOI.

70. Jagdish Joshi says:

Do I need to have funds in liquid cash AND fixed assets, for my son to become eligible for sub-class 190 skilled migration to Australia ?

Kindly guide with details, as feedback from people in India is misguiding, sir.

Thank you.

• Ben says:

Hi Jagdish,

Thanks for your comment. Firstly, there is no fee for lodging an EOI in SkillSelect. If a person is invited to apply for a skilled migration visa then they will be required to pay a visa application charge when they lodge their visa application. However there is no requirement that a person have certain funds or assets to be eligible for a points based skilled migration visa.

71. John says:

Dear Robert,

I have been here Australia under post-graduate student visa since 2008, meaning that I was holding student visa on 8 February 2010. Given I have the completion letter (for the course) in August 2012, my nomination job is in current SOL (applied from 1 July 2011) and I have 65 points before 1/1/2013. Am I eligible to apply for 885 without EOI before 1/1/2013? This question raises since there is rumor that only those who held 485 or applied 485 on 8 February 2010 are allowed to apply for 885 after 1/7/2012 and before 1/1/2013.

Also, will the current SOL list be change this July?

Thank you very much!

John.

Hi John

The 885, 886 and 487 visas will remain open until 1 January 2012 to all eligible applicants. You still need to meet the eligibility requirements to apply for these visas. These requirements are available from the website:http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/visa-options-inside.htm

The SOL is designed to respond to Australia’s medium to long term skills need, so is subject to change. Changes to the SOL are made in July each year. You can keep updated on changes to the SOL by checking the department’s website.

72. Raja says:

Hi Robert!

I am trying to put bits and pieces together from the above discussions but still not very clear about my future options. I would be grateful if my small queries are answered.

I held student visa on April 2010, now finishing my two years master on 5th July 2012, I have 60 points and trying to score good in IELTS to make it 65. My questions are.

1. With 60 points in hand, would I be able to apply for 485 (temporary visa for 18 months) after July 2012?

2. Or would I be able to get skill Graduate Visa for 2 years, after July 2012, and what sort of Visa is it?

3. If I have 65 points in hand, can I apply for PR (885)-avoiding EOI process- before 2013 (despite the fact that I did not hold student visa on 8 Feb 2010)?

4. I really don’t want to get caught in EOI thing, can I really avoide that?

I would really appreciate your guidance in this matter, so I re-plan my possibilities.

Best Regards

73. Ranveer says:

Hi,

I’m a research student looking into getting permanent residency. I’ve been on a student VISA (subclass 574) since my start of my PhD degree from July 2007, which got renewed last year in November 2011 for year.

My question is, if I get my conferral of degree letter before the 1st January 2013 can I apply for a subclass 885 VISA or will I need to submit an EOI?

Thanks.

74. Chris Chan says:

May I suggest that the following be made available on DIAC web site relating to Skill Select to make it clear to all visa applicants affected by this transitional arrangements ?

Thank you.

Thank you to Andy Ellen for drawing the writer’s attention to comments on the DIAC Blog indicating that during the period 1 July 2012-31 December 2012 people will be able to apply for Subclass 885, 886 and 487 visas even if they are not covered by transitional arrangements that apply to certain international students.

This is important and useful information for advisers and their clients.

75. Rohan says:

Hi

I had a student visa on 8 February 2010.
    I am on a Temporary Residency Visa (VC 485) now.
    Now I have 60 points.
    I will pass the 65 point test on NOVEMBER 2012.

Question 1: will I come under transitional arrangement or not?

Question 2: Can I lodge a Skilled Independent Visa (VC 885) after November 2012 or do I have to go through the EOI procedure?

Thanks

76. Patrick says:

Hi,

I just wish to know where can I find in the immigration website that shows that applicants can still apply for 886 and 885 until 31/12/2012.
    Just want to make sure before we are disappointed if the news is not valid in July.

thanks.
    Patrick

77. Nuno Sobrinho says:

Dear all,

Regarding the skill select next July, if I have 55 points scored and would like to apply for a 189 (skilled independent) visa (which requires 65 points minimum) can I:

- submit an EOI to a 489 (skilled regional) visa, be invited to a state/territory regional nominated, earn 10 extra points and then submit an EOI to a 189 visa, during the period that the 489 invitation is valid?

For another words, will a simple invitation to apply to a 489 enough to earn 10 extra points? Or I will earn those 10 points only after submitng the visa application and pay the fee?

Kind regards,
    Nuno

Hi Nuno,

Invitations to apply for a visa are visa subclass specific. So, if you are invited to apply for a 489 visa, you could not then apply for a 190 visa based on that invitation. If you were to receive 10 points as a part of state/territory nomination for the 489 visa, you could not then transfer those points to a different visa subclass. If you wanted to apply for a 190 visa, you would first have to be nominated and invited for that particular visa, which would include meeting the pass mark for that particular visa (which only includes 5 points for nomination).

Thanks for the question.

78. Herin says:

Dear Sir/Madam,

If I am not in Transitional group, do I still be able to apply 885 or 487 visa until 1/1/2013

Regards
    Herin

Hi Herin,

The subclass 885, 886 and 487 visas remain open to all (transitional and non-transitional) applicants until 1 January 2013, as long as you meet the requirements to lodge a valid application.

79. Kevin says:

Hi,
    For the Australian work experience point, who will determine that? DIAC or the skill assessment authority? If I got the skill assessment report from ACS says I have one year work experience does that means I can claim 5 point for the work experience? Also will the work experience during the bachelor degree counted? ACS said yes but I can’t find any information on the DIAC website.

Regards,
    Kevin

80. Saira says:

Hi,

I am currently holding 485 visa subclass and would be completing Professional Year in June 25, 2012. I have migration points totalling to 50, after the Professional year completion it would be 55. My sister’s husband is an Australian citizen and my sister has yet not got P.R. They live in a regional area, Perth. Would I be eligible for sponsorship?

I would highly appreciate your advice.
    Thanks.

81. Danny says:

Dear officers,

I held a valid student visa before Feb 2010. I graduated Bac. of Accounting Banking and Finance in July 2011. I applied for the Graduate Visa and supposed to get it in Aug 2012. My Professional Year program is due to complete in May 2012.

However, in order to get 65 I need to wait until 31 Dec 2012 to turn 25 and gain 30 points of age. From what I have been aware of I still can apply for Visa 885 until 1 January 2013 before it is replaced by a new visa. My first question is, given the fact that I was born in 31 Dec 1987, if I apply for 885 on the 31st Dec 2012, can I get the full 30 points for age? Or can I still apply for this visa on 1 Jan 2013? In case for some reasons such as the Internet breaks down on the peak time New Year Eve, I cant make it in time, before 12 A.M. of 1 Jan 2013, will my application for visa 885, let say lodged online at 1 A.M. 1/1/13 still be accepted? I feel it would not fair for me and other applicants with the same situation if their applications are not accepted just because of technical problems, because they were born on 31 Dec, not a day after!!! It would be all fair if they can apply on 31 Dec 2013 AND have 30 points of age for being 25 years old.

My second question is after 1 Jan 2013, assume that I have applied for visa 885 on 31 Dec 2012 or 1 Jan 2013, can I still submit an EOI without any negative effects on the application for 885? The EOI has it own benefits but I do worry about the limited numbers of invitations issued for each occupation and the highest point will be selected first.

Thank you kindly for answering my queries in advance.

Danny

• Robert says:

Thanks for the question Danny.

Answering your second question, submitting an EOI through SkillSelect is separate from our current applications processes and so submitting an EOI would not have an adverse effect on any 885 application.

When we say that applications for the 885, 886 and 487 visas will close on 1 January 2013, we mean that they will close at 12:00:00am (midnight) at the start of 1 January (which means one minute after 11:59:00pm on 31 December 2012). So, you would not be able to lodge an application after this time. If your 25th birthday is 31 December 2012, then this is considered the day that you would attract five more points for age.

82. Dong says:

Thanks for this post.
    My question is that: is it compulsory for applicants to obtain points advice from the relevant assessing authority if they want to claim points for skilled employment?

83. Jat Patel says:

I would be happy if you answer my these two questions.
    I have completed my masters in Feb 2008 and Applied for 485 in April 2008 but granted June 2011 till Jan 2013. I have started Professional year program July 2011 and going to complete on june 2012.
    As I have applied 485 visa before 8th Feb 2010 so I will be considering under transitional arrangements so how many points will i get for PYP?
    Do i need to wait for EOI in july or I can apply without it?
    I look forward to hearing from you soon
    Thanks

84. Rahul K says:

Dear Robert,
    I have been in Aus since july 2009, finished my 2 yrs study in july 2011…and applied for a 485 in aug 2011 which is still under processing… now i have joined professional yr in ACS(IT) last month (March 2012)and which finishes Jan 2013. .. I have heard the rumor that cutoff for 885 has been delayed till 1/1/2013 .. is it true..?? will I be able to apply under 885 visa without EOI if get completion letter dated 1/1/2013?? please reply urgently…

Hi Rahul,

Applications for the 885, 886 and 487 visas will close on 1 January 2013. This means that no more new applications will be accepted after midnight between 31 December 2012 and 1 January 2013.

Thanks for the question.

85. John says:

Thanks for your quick reply. I am preparing documents for application for 885 online. Please advise me the following questions:

1. Is the completion letter for my course enough for me to claim 5 points for “Minimum two years full-time Australian Study Requirement”, or shall I have to get my Australia degree assessed (This will give me point on qualifications but the assessing process takes time then I don’t need it)?

2. Should I apply TR 485 at the same time with PR 885 as a backup?

3. Given my wife does not have functional English at the time of lodging but she does have on or before the time CO asks for the 2nd installment payment, will we be waived for that fee?

Thanks.

86. Mina says:

In my previous submit I forgot to mention very critical information :

1) My student visa expires 31/12/2012, which is strange since my last day at uni is 7th of December, whom should I contact regarding that issue because

2) I can not even apply for Skilled – Graduate (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 485), because the same problem still exists , the university can not issue me transcript the day after I finish last day which is the 7th of December it takes about a month, and to apply for Skilled – Graduate (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 485) I still need to show both transcript and evidence I applied for skill assessment.

My previous post was the following :

Hi Please help me regarding the dilemma am currently in.

First thank you so much for this blog , its the only place where one can find certain answers regarding the recent rapid changes in immigration rules.

I am currently on my final year of bachelor of physiotherapy , I only have until 31 of December 2012 to apply for onshore 885 , but I finish my last day of placement on the 7th of December , my question is :

1) How I am supposed to get a skill assessment for 885 , if I only have 3 weeks till 31 December ? with Australian physiotherapy council taking at least 10 days to issue a skill assessment , and about 4 days for mail , and add in more delay due to Christmas holidays beside the fact I have to wait until my uni issues final transcript which can take up to 4 weeks after the 7th of December ,which is also required to show I have completed my degree , it seems impossible and not fair for students who finish late during the year.

2) Can I apply online for 885 before 31 December without uploading my skill assessment, then upload it later once I get it issued, since It seems very unlikely I can get a skill assessment before 31 December when I finish last day of uni on 7th of December ?

3) Can you please provide a direct link to 885 online application checklist , on the paper checklist for 885 it says there is a separate and different checklist to when applying for 885 online , I have spent the last 3 month on http://www.immi.gov.au , searching it layer after layer and there is no online checklist available for 885 , just the paper application one.

I am awaiting your reply as this issue is really troubling me .

Kind Regards

Mina

87. Polly says:

I would like to ask,what point test applies to Feb.8,2010 holder of 573 visa who will apply for 885 visa on Nov.2012.Is it the old point test or July, 2011point test?.Is it possible to apply for 485 visa and 885 visa at the same time?Thanks

88. Kalpesh says:

Dear Sir/madam,
    I am in Australia and have finished my study and currently have applied for 485 visa. Hopefully I will get it soon. Now my concern is, I have scored 55 points and trying to achieve each module 7 in IELTS which gives me 10 point and to score 65 to be eligible to apply for Residency. now 1st July is approaching fast and I haven’t achieved each 7 in IELTS. So I just want to ask you that can I apply 885 directly without filling up EOI after 1st July?

Thanks

Hi Kalpesh

The subclass 885, 886 and 487 visas remain open to all applicants until 1 January 2013, as long as you meet the requirements to lodge a valid application.

Have a look at some of our responses to other comments for more information.

Comments are closed.